Ministry of Interior eCitiBiz is a highly customization and industry standard organizational operations system designed to electronically capture and pivot all aspects of the operations and work flow of the Citizenship and Business (C&B) Department of Ministry Of Interior. It best describes the integration and automation of the department; core functions, services and process for streamlined operations.
In accordance to the 1990 Marriage Act, CAP 218, Laws of the Federation, the Ministry of Interior is charged with carrying out statutory marriages in Nigeria. There are two types of marriages which are recognized under the law, and they are: Ordinary Marriage: This is a marriage between a Nigerian and a Nigerian. Special Marriage: While this is a marriage between a Nigerian and non-Nigerian or between a non-Nigerian and a non-Nigerian in Nigeria.
There are a series of services as related to marriages that are carried out by the Ministry of Interior. These services have also been made automated, in such a way that they can all be performed through the eCitiBiz portal.
The Citizenship and Business Department of the Ministry of Interior eCitiBiz has the responsibility for administering and enforcing the provisions of immigration Act, 1963 as they relate to the establishment of business in Nigeria and the employment of expatriates. In other words, the Department is entrusted principally with the following responsibility:
- Issuance of Business Permit and Expatriate Quota positions, and
- Monitoring the execution of the Quota positions granted in order to ensure effective transfer of technology to Nigerians and eventual indigenization of the positions occupied by the Expatriates.
This department is also responsible for upholding the 1990 Marriage Act, CAP 218, Laws of the Federation. In other words, their duties include:
- Granting of secured marriage certificates
- Place of worship licensing (so places of worship can be legally certified to conduct statutory marriages in Nigeria)
- Conducting of marriages at the Federal Marriage Registries.
Lastly, in accordance to the Immigration Act, this department is responsible for either granting or withdrawing of citizenship. Their duties include:
- Evaluating applications for Citizenship by Naturalization, Confirmation or Registration.
- Granting of the Special Immigration Status
- Granting of a Temporary Residence Permit
- Granting of Renunciation of Nigerian Citizenship.
For more information, please visit our office: Ministry of Interior, Room 104 & 123, Block F, Old Federal Secretariat, Area 1, Garki-Abuja. Our email address is [email protected] and our customer care phone number is +234 (0) 9 462 1505, or visit our website here